CONGRATULATIONS TO F.I.T., WINNER OF THE BEST OVERALL SCHOOL AWARD!
Congratulations to Madison Li for winning best designer at Parsons!
Congrats to Joshua Homic for winning Best Designer at the winning school, FIT!
And of course, thank you to our wonderful judges Joe Zee, Peter Davis, Regina Rourke, Mary Kate Steinmiller and Richard Lowe. We love you!
Our new home is SO cool! There are 500 seats on the other side of this!
CONGRATS to all FUSION 2014 designers! Click a school below to meet the teams.
➩ Fashion Institute of Technology
➩ Parsons The New School for Design
FUSION 2014 – Fifteen years of ingenuity
Congratulations to the Winners of Fusion 2013!
Best overall school: The Fashion Institute of Technology
Best Designer, F.I.T.: K’ Luu
Photo by Ryan Duffin
Best Designer, Parsons: Maria Van Nguyen
Photo by Ryan Duffin
See photos from the F.I.T. design team.
See photos from the Parsons design team.
See you next year, for our 15th anniversary!
WELCOME TO FUSION FASHION SHOW! – the relentlessly creative runway showdown between the best two fashion schools in the country, propelled by Fusion lovers for eleven years and counting.
Above: Design by Blair Moore, Fusion 2012 Honorable Mention Winner.
NEW TO FUSION?
Fusion Fashion Show has turned out some names you’ve probably heard of. Prabal Gurung, Alexander Wang, Chris Benz… to name a few. These design stars the students are looking up to right now once sent their designs down the runway of Fusion Fashion Show.
The show has grown exponentially over the past eleven years, accumulating a world-wide following of fans. Featured in magazines from New York to Tokyo, this climactic presentation of innovative new ideas constructed with limited resources and experience gets more thrilling to behold each time around.
Fashion is My Drug of Choice: An Aspiring Designer Talks Fashion Week: This article and video features Fusion superstar Edwin Mohney as he preps for Fusion 2011 and discusses NYFW.
So, I know you always hear me talk about the designers who have gone on to do quite well after Fusion, but here are some fun facts that I got to thinking about while looking over the website…
1. In all the press I do, I say it’s Fusion’s 11th year, but when you look at the website there’s already been 11 shows. That’s because, Fusion’s first year the show wasn’t called Fusion, it was called “Wearable Art.” David Yassky, a good friend of mine and one of our judges for this year’s show, suggested the name Fusion to me because we brought the two schools together.
2. If F.I.T. wins this year, they will have evened the score at 6 wins for each school. This is after they lost the first three competitions!
3. Out of the 11 Best Designer winners at F.I.T., only two have been female!
4. In the 12 years the show has taken place, only once has a judge not showed up… We won’t give away their name though.
5. Fusion has had 3 former contestants appear on Project Runway, with the best showing by Jillian Lewis making it to the final three on Season 4, the same year Christian Soriano won.
6. Tim Gunn judged Fusion for the first 3 years it existed and then went on to be a part of Project Runway!
7. The second year Fusion took place, we weren’t prepared for the crowds and the line stretched out the midtown campus building and down 7th avenue, colliding with the musical RENT’s line, which created confusion.
8. Finally, the first two years Fusion existed, I had to beg designers at both schools to do the show. We only had 10 applicants from each school express interest and there were 20 designers who showcased 3 outfits each.
Well, that was fun for me. Can’t wait to see you all.
Good day to the few Fusion fans who read this blog! Fusion 2010 has been up and running for some time and we are so excited for the show this year. After some help from some very dedicated F.I.T. designers and students, we finally have a F.I.T. advisor. Her name is Karen Middleton and she is a dream come true. She is enthusiastic, supportive, a proponent of talent, and extremely nice. Thank you, Karen, for believing in the show.
The designers this year are exceptional and leading the charge are more menswear designers than we’ve ever had. At least 6 designers are doing mens, and we couldn’t be more excited. Of course, that means male models and we are excited for them too!!!
As of right now, we are searching for more judges and sponsors. Damien Nunes, an old friend and fashion editor of GQ, has agreed to judge the show. We are thrilled. MaryKate Steinmiller from Teen Vogue is also on board for the second year in a row. We absolutely love having such a prestigious publication participate in your judging process and look forward to Teen Vogue igniting many careers by their very presence.
Our model casting call was a fun, interesting one. Too bad we don’t allow childrenswear, because an 8 year old model came in, walked like you’ve never seen, and stole the show. We found a lot of great models and truly appreciate the time and energy they put into the show.
Finally, I would like to welcome Jovana Mirabile to the fashion team. She is working on our Public Relations and you won’t find a more dynamic, hard-working, sweet person around. I’m excited to see the impact she has on our show!
See you soon,